How to Photograph Vintage | Studio Lights vs. Natural Light

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

So the new website design is actually close to being finished. There's my perfectionist side that wants to really get all the details DOWN, but I suppose a lot of people won't even notice those.

So, now I am just focusing mainly on getting all my vintage inventory photographed for the new of ADORED | VINTAGE website.

So the past couple of weeks my friend and I have tried different ways of photographing vintage, so I thought I would share side by side comparisons...

STUDIO LIGHTS vs NATURAL LIGHT


The vintage 1920s flapper dress on the left side was shot with two studio lights and a light overhead (so 3 total) during the evening. The 1920s flapper dress on the right side was shot with natural light (shot during the day time). Clearly I love natural light more as I feel it adds more dimension to the product. I know there is a way to position your lights to get the same effect, but natural light just has so much more feeling. So much more emotion. And vintage clothes are very emotional for me.

NATURAL LIGHT VARIATIONS


Both of these dresses were shot with Natural Light during the afternoon. The one on the left was shot pulled away from the wall and the one on the right was shot right against the wall. I prefer the one shot against the wall as it creates shadows along the right side of the dress which makes the dress "pop" more.

---

So for all of you vintage sellers out there, hope this post was helpful! I know not everyone has access to great natural light...but IF you do, by all means always choose it over Studio Lights. But then again, I'm being biased as I really prefer natural light photography over studio light photography to photograph my vintage clothes. If anyone has tips/advice or recommendations I would be happy to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment