CH-CH-CHANGES + Progress

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Bonjour lovelies!

Vegas was a blast and I have spent the past couple days catching up on work and recouping from 3 days at Magic Market Week. Yesterday I had to force myself to rest, I could barely keep my eyes open most of Friday and some of yesterday but when you're a one woman show it's no rest for the weary! I wanted to kind of track the progress of things going on around here as I feel more or less this is a journey we are traversing together...hehe...so here goes.

LOVE WHAT YOU DO

So...5 THINGS I'M WORKING ON for the VINTAGE SHOP

1.] WHAT KIND OF LIGHTS FOR THE SHOP? - solved
This morning I started to focus my attention again on the Brick + Mortar and went and looked at light options for the shop (finally decided on cool industrial pendants!) so that is ONE thing to check off the long list of "to-do" and "to-buy" for the shop.

BTW, I honestly thought opening up a shop would take like 2 weeks...put up a sign, get some lights, put in some racks...nuh-uh! Of course if you have unlimited funds and a team of helpers, then yes, it is absolutely possible! But with just me and my fella, well it's a lot slower of a process than I imagined.

2.] HOW TO SHOOT PRODUCTS IN SHOP SPACE - solved
Last week I spent some time shooting products for the shop with a new studio setup. So FINALLY resolved the product photography issue as I was having such a hard time working with the light available in the shop. It actually has TOO MUCH natural light. Never thought I'd say that!

3.] HOW TO ORGANIZE VINTAGE STOCK - working on it
So a couple of months ago I bought an entire vintage store that went out of business. I think I've acquired some 1500 pieces of clothing, jewelry, accessories... and well I wasn't anticipating how much ROOM all this stuff would take up! We now have two storage units and they're both full and the shop currently still houses a few more unopened boxes and several racks of clothing I have to still go through. I think this is going to be the biggest problem I have to solve.

Vintage Shop Retail Boutique Inspiration

4.] I NEED HELP - working on it - almost solved
Ahh I suppose it was going to be a lot sooner than later that I need some help around here... so next week I am interviewing for an assistant! At my old job I interviewed a fair number of girls that became my interns that I later trained and then eventually they took over what I did. I'm confident in my interviewing skills and actually very excited to meet the new prospects in person! Hooray!

5.] MANAGING PERSONAL TIME + WORK TIME - almost solved
Because I now have a live/work situation it has been very difficult for me to NOT work. Sometimes I'll stay up until 12-1 AM and just tinker away on the website or read up on new modules to add to the site or research costume jewelry... but lately I have been more firm with myself to work from 9-6 (UM, to be honest though I don't really stick to it as I still work until about 8 usually...) BUT, I am getting a lot better at taking little breaks, managing my time better, and being OK that there isn't enough time TODAY to do everything I want to do so there is always TOMORROW.

- - -

I do wish things were progressing faster around here. But then again, I am just one person. For now anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment